Instagram, the worldwide famous photo-sharing platform owned by Meta (Formerly known as Facebook), has rolled out a few updated features to secure the user’s experience from getting ruined. Majorly the issue is faced by content creators with public accounts, who receive unwanted obnoxious comments on their posts that they can’t help but be affected by.
The content creators have been caught talking about developing a thick skin against such offensive remarks, but Instagram too has looked into this situation keenly and has created some healthy boundaries and features on the platform, including updated hidden words, improved blocking options, and so many more features.
How to activate the Hidden Words feature on Instagram
Instagram has recently launched the Hidden Words criteria. This feature allows the users to filter out ‘below the belt’ contents from the comments and message request list, automatically. The success rate of this feature is high as the users, who activate this feature, claim that they witnessed a 40% reduction in offensive comments.
Hidden words refer to the set of words that can be put under the umbrella of obnoxious comments. These comments can be degrading, belittling, offensive, or disrespectful. By enabling this feature, users can protect themselves from coming across any such comments, posts, or messages that revolve around the vicinity of obnoxious. Do follow the further mentioned steps to put these words and phrases to the bay:
- Log in to your Instagram account from your Android or iOS handsets.
- Click on the bottom right of the screen which will lead you to your profile.
- Next, tap on the three horizontal lines button that can be seen at the top right.
- Select the ‘Settings’ Tab. then Go to the ‘Privacy’ option.
- Click on the ‘Hidden words’ option.
- You will see the banner ‘Offensive words and phrases under which you can turn on the ‘Hide comments’, ‘Advanced filtering’, and ‘Hide message requests’ options. This will do the trick!
Note: The hidden comments can not be visible to the users but are still counted in the total comment count.
Being over-cautious with your mental health and going a step forward will not harm the users prone to unpleasant comments and message requests. To put a harsh stop to these phrases and words even the diabolical emojis users can specifically create a list of the same. This list is very much flexible to change at any time. Users can add words and phrases to the list by following the given steps:
- Start with opening the app on your handsets.
- Click on your profile, and go to the ‘Privacy’ option from the ‘Setting’ tab (as directed in the above case).
- From the Privacy option select the ‘Hidden words’ tab.
- Tap on the ‘Manage custom words and phrases’ button, under the ‘Custom words and phrases’ banner.
- There, the user can put down all the words and phrases, even the numbers and emojis that you don’t want to see the next time on the feed.
- Next up, activate the ‘Hide comments’ and ‘Hide message requests’ that will enable the app to work on a given list of undesirable comments.
While signing into Instagram the users signed a mental statement that they welcome all the good and the bad of the platform. While the pros were many, in the first place enticed the majority of the users to create their accounts, there were a few cons to the platforms. To smooth the bumpy roads of offensive, disrespectful, or despondent comments Instagram has put on some features.