- Gmail to enforce email authentication for bulk senders.
- Mandatory one-click unsubscribe feature in commercial emails.
- Non-compliance leads to email rejection starting April 2024.
- Temporary errors begin this month to signal non-compliant practices.
Google has announced a significant update to its Gmail policies aimed at combating spam by introducing stricter requirements for bulk email senders.
Set to take effect in April 2024, these changes are part of Google’s ongoing effort to enhance user experience.
Gmail’s Anti-Spam Crusade
In a move to curb the flood of spam emails, Google is tightening the reins on bulk email senders, demanding higher standards for message authentication and recipient consent.
Google’s updated policies mandate that senders who distribute over 5,000 emails per day must now authenticate their emails, a practice designed to verify the sender’s identity and reduce phishing attempts.
Moreover, these senders are required to incorporate a one-click unsubscribe option in all commercial and promotional messages.
This feature must be prominently displayed, allowing recipients to easily opt-out of future communications.
To further safeguard user preferences, senders are obligated to process unsubscription requests promptly, within a two-day window.
The policy rollout begins with Google issuing temporary errors to senders falling short of the new standards, starting this month.
This measure aims to alert senders to non-compliant practices, offering them an opportunity to adjust before more stringent actions are taken.
By April 2024, Google plans to outright reject a portion of non-compliant email traffic, gradually increasing the volume of rejected emails over time.
For instance, if a sender’s 75% of email traffic adheres to Google’s guidelines, the remaining 25% that fails to comply will be subject to rejection.
What is Google’s new policy for bulk email senders?
Google’s updated policy requires bulk email senders to authenticate their emails and include a one-click unsubscribe option in all commercial messages, ensuring emails are sent only to those who wish to receive them.
How does the new Gmail policy affect the process of unsubscribing from emails?
The policy mandates that all commercial and promotional emails must feature a clearly visible one-click unsubscribe button, streamlining the process for users to opt-out of unwanted communications.
When will Google start enforcing the new anti-spam measures?
Google will begin issuing temporary errors to non-compliant senders this month as a warning. From April 2024, Google will start rejecting a portion of non-compliant email traffic, with the rejection rate increasing over time.
What happens if a bulk sender’s emails do not meet Google’s new standards?
If a sender’s emails fail to comply with Google’s standards, initially, they will receive temporary errors. Starting April 2024, a percentage of their non-compliant emails will be rejected.
How will Google determine which emails to reject under the new policy?
Google will assess compliance with its guidelines. For example, if 75% of a sender’s email traffic meets the requirements, Google will begin rejecting the non-compliant 25% of traffic.
Also Read: Create Gmail Account: How to Create a New Google Account on Mobile Phone